Accounts, Files and Backups
- Creation of DAMTP Accounts for Visitors, Students, Staff, Conferences, Workshops & Courses [info for Staff]
- Obtaining A DAMTP Windows Account. Nowadays anyone who applies for a departmental account receives both windows and unix logins.
- Leaving DAMTP - my computer account
. We expect you to remove your personal files before your account is closed.
When your account is first created you are assigned 1Gb of space in your home directory: this is your quota. If you need to use much more space than this you may use Data and Scratch spaces on the various machines on the department. Files on data/scratch spaces, contrary to your home directory, will not be backed up.
Diskspace, Quota System, File Permissions
- DiskSpace [quota, cleanup, compression, backups, data, scratch and temporary space]
- Who can read your files [how to change file permissions]
File Operations & Editors
- Common File Operations
- Using ls to list just those files modified or created on a particular day
- Removing Troublesome Files
- Accessing Files in Removable Media (USB/CDs/DVDs/etc)
- File Editors
File Types and attachments
- Different file types
- Convert from one file type to another
- Converting MS Word to .pdf
- Files sent from Macs
- FAQ about files
- Turn off caching on some OSX (macs) applications - Quota difficulties on macs are sometimes due to caching.
- Connect to server, "mounting" smb/ssh file-systems, PWF file-space
- How do I make file extensions appear in Windows?
- How To Map A Network Drive/Window Share
- Installing the Loopback Adaptor
- What are the private, NOBACKUP etc directories doing in my N: drive?
- Play and Record DVDs
- Graphics: Viewing Pictures, PDF, Plotting, Postscript, Animation, Drawing
Backup of your Home Directory
The content of your home directory is backed up several times a day. This allows for the recover of any files erased by mistake. Files in data/scratch spaces are not backed up.
- Backups & Archives
Backup of your Email
If you use the DAMTP Email System, you will be happy to know that all your messages will be backed up. Please contact email@example.com if you have accidentaly erased a message that you need to recover. Please let us know in your email the dates the messages were received and the subjects & senders if possible.
If you use Hermes instead, i.e., your @damtp.cam.ac.uk account is forwarding your email to your Hermes account - and this applies to the majority of DAMTP users -, your emails will be also being backed up, but by UCS, not by us.
Backup of your Laptop
You may also backup data from your laptop either using the Laptop Data Backup Service or by copying your files manually to external devices or your DAMTP home directory.
- Laptops - Backing up Data