Dr Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb
- since October 2015: Reader at DAMTP, University of Cambridge, UK.
- since October 2011: Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge, UK.
- September 2010 to October 2015: Lecturer at DAMTP, University of Cambridge, UK.
- September 2009 to September 2010: Postdoc at NAM (Institute of Numerical and Applied Mathematics), Georg-August University Goettingen, Germany.
- October 2008 to September 2009: Research Assistant at DAMTP, University of Cambridge.
- October 2005 to October 2008: Research Assistant at the Faculty of Mathematics, University of Vienna, Austria.
- September 2002 to June 2004: Research Assistant at the Department of Mathematics, University of Salzburg, Austria.
- July 18, 2009: Admission to the degree Doctor of Philosophy, University of Cambridge (UK)
- January 30, 2004: Master’s degree in Mathematics with Honors, University of Salzburg (Austria)
Honors and Awards:
- 2013: EPSRC Science Photo Award, 1st Prize in the Category People.
- 2008: Mary Bradburn Award from the BFWG.
- 2004: Scholarship from the University of Salzburg (Austria) for exceptional achievements as a student
- 2002: Hans-Stegbuchner-Award from the Department of Mathematics, University of Salzburg (Austria).
Dr Schönlieb's research interests range from nonlinear partial differential equations to computational- and convex analysis, with applications in digital image- and signal processing. She studies fourth-order equations and nonsmooth optimization problems, like the total variation functional, for image reconstruction, especially for what is called image inpainting. Moreover, she works on computational methods for large-scale problems appearing in 3- and 4-D imaging. Within this context she is interested in both the theoretical and numerical analysis of the problems considered as well as their practical implementation and their use for real-world applications like arts restoration and medical imaging. More details on CIA research see CIA research.
M. Benning, L. Gladden, D. Holland, C.-B. Schönlieb, and T. Valkonen, Phase reconstruction from velocity-encoded MRI measurements - a survey of sparsity-promoting variational approaches , Journal of Magnetic Resonance 238 (2014), pp. 26--43.
L. Calatroni, B. Düring, and C.-B. Schönlieb, ADI splitting schemes for a fourth-order nonlinear partial differential equation from image processing, DCDS Series A, Special Issue for Arieh Iserles 65th birthday, 34(3), March 2014, pp. 931 - 957.
J. C. De Los Reyes, and C.-B. Schönlieb, Image denoising: Learning noise distribution via PDE-constrained optimisation, Inverse Problems and Imaging 7(4), pp. 1183--1214, November 2013. pdf DAMTP-Technical Report, NA2012/04
K. Papafitsoros, and C.-B. Schönlieb, A combined first and second order variational approach for image reconstruction, Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, 48(2), pp. 308--338, 2014.
K. Papafitsoros, C.-B. Schönlieb, and B. Sengul, Combined first and second order total variation inpainting using split Bregman, in Image Processing On Line, vol. 2013, pp. 112-136.
F. Schubert, and C.-B. Schönlieb, Random Simulations for Generative Art Construction - Some Examples, Journal of Mathematics and the Arts, Vol. 7, Issue 1, 2013, pp. 29-39
A. Langer, S. Osher, and C.-B. Schönlieb, Bregmanized Domain Decomposition for Image Restoration, Journal of Scientific Computing, Vol. 54, Issue 2-3, pp. 549-576, 2013. UCLA-CAM report num. 11-30.
M. Fornasier, Y. Kim, A. Langer, and C.-B. Schönlieb, Wavelet Decomposition Method for L2/TV-Image Deblurring, SIAM J. Imaging Sci., Vol. 5, No. 3, 2012, pp. 857-885.
C. Gottschlich, C.-B. Schönlieb, Oriented Diffusion Filtering for Enhancing Low-quality Fingerprint Images, IET Biometrics, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 105-113, June 2012.
M. Burger, M. Franek, C.-B. Schönlieb, Regularised Regression and Density estimation based on Optimal Transport, Appl. Math. Res. Express 2012 (2), pp. 209-253.
C.-B. Schönlieb, A. Bertozzi, Unconditionally stable schemes for higher order inpainting, Communications in Mathematical Sciences Volume 9, Issue 2, pp. 413-457 (2011).
M. Fornasier, A. Langer, C.-B. Schönlieb, A convergent overlapping domain decomposition method for total variation minimization, Numerische Mathematik, Vol. 116, Nr. 4, pp. 645 - 685 (2010).
- M. Burger, L. He, C.-B. Schoenlieb, Cahn-Hilliard inpainting and a generalization for grayvalue images, SIAM J. Imaging Sci. Volume 2, Issue 4, pp. 1129-1167 (2009), UCLA-CAM report num. 08-41.
- M. Fornasier, C.-B. Schoenlieb, Subspace correction methods for total variation and l1- minimization, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. Nr. 47 Issue 5, pp. 3397-3428 (2009), arXiv:0712.2258v1 [math.NA].
- C.-B. Schoenlieb, Total variation minimization with an H−1 constraint, CRM Series 9, Singularities in Nonlinear Evolution Phenomena and Applications proceedings, Scuola Normale Superiore Pisa 2009, pp. 201-232.
- W. Baatz, M. Fornasier, P. Markowich, C.-B. Schoenlieb, Binary Based Fresco Restoration, Conference Proceedings of Bridges 2009, BANFF 2009, pp. 337-338.
- J. D. Rossi, C.-B. Schoenlieb, Nonlocal higher order evolution equations, Applicable Analysis. Vol. 89(6), pp. 949-960, (2010).
- J. Fernandez Bonder, J. D. Rossi, C.-B. Schoenlieb, The Best Constant and Extremals of the Sobolev Embeddings in Domains With Holes: the L∞ Case, Illinois Journal of Mathematics. Vol. 52(4), pp. 1111-1121, (2008).
- M.Burger, S.-Y.Chu, P.Markowich, C.-B. Schoenlieb, The Willmore Functional and Instabilities in the Cahn-Hilliard equation, Communications in Mathematical Sciences, Volume 6, Issue 2 (June 2008), pp. 309-329, 2008.
- J. Fernandez Bonder, J. D. Rossi, C.-B. Schoenlieb, An Optimization Problem Related to the Best Sobolev Trace Constant in Thin Domains, Communications in Contemporary Mathematics (CCM), Volume 10, Issue 5 (October 2008), pp. 633-650.