Dr Giulio Del Zanna
- 2012-date: Senior Research Associate, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- 2008-2012: STFC Advanced Fellow, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- 2007-2008: PPARC/STFC Advanced Fellow, MSSL, University College London
- 2004-2007: Research Fellow, MSSL, University College London
- 2002-2004: Research Associate, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- 2001: Research Associate, University of Florence, Italy
- 1999-2001: Research Associate, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
I am a member of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics Atomic Astrophysics research group. My current research interests are on energy transfer processes in the solar corona.
Atomic physics calculations and plasma diagnostic techniques applied to XUV spectroscopic observations allow the measurements of plasma parameters such as electron density, temperature, chemical abundances. In conjunction with modeling, they can help us in understanding how magnetic energy is transferred into heat in all varieties of solar coronal features, from active region loops to solar flares.
I have also been working on measuring the solar EUV irradiance and its variations during the last solar cycle, and how these variations can be modeled and models applied to other stars.
I contributed to atomic data calculations (within the UK APAP network), to line identifications and benchmarking atomic data against laboratory and astrophysical spectra, to atomic data distribution via the CHIANTI atomic database and VAMDC.
Selected Publications (most recent)
- Young, Peter R.; Dere, Ken P.; Landi, E.; Del Zanna, G.; Mason, H.E, 2016, The CHIANTI atomic database, J Phys. B, accepted (arXiv151205620Y)
- Del Zanna, G., and Badnell, N. R.,2016, Atomic Data for Astrophysics: Ni XII, A&A, 585, A118
- Del Zanna, G., and Badnell, N. R.,2016, Atomic data and density diagnostics for S IV, MNRAS, in press
- Del Zanna, G.,Dere, K., Young, P.R., Landi, E., and Mason, H.E., 2015, CHIANTI - An atomic databasefor Emission Lines. Version 8, A&A, 582, A56
- Del Zanna, G., Badnell, N. R., Fern´andez-Menchero, L., Liang, G., Mason, H.E., and Storey, P.J., 2015, On the validity of the ICFT R-matrix method: Fe XIV, MNRAS, 454, 2909
- Fernandez-Menchero, L., Del Zanna, G., and Badnell, N. R., 2015, Validity of the ICFT R-matrix method: Be-like Al9+ a case study, MNRAS, 450, 4174
- Fernandez-Menchero, L., Del Zanna , G., and Badnell, N. R., 2015, Resolution of the forbidden (J = 0 0)excitation puzzle in Mg-like ions , A&A, 577, A95
- Del Zanna, G., Fernandez-Menchero, L., Badnell, N.R., 2014, Benchmarking atomic Data for Astrophysics: Si III, A&A, 574, A99