Professor John Lister
- 2006-present Professor of Fluid Dynamics, DAMTP, Cambridge
- 1997-present Teaching Fellow and Director of Studies at Trinity College, Cambridge
- 2001-2006 Reader in Fluid Dynamics, DAMTP, Cambridge
- 1997-2001 University Lecturer, Institute of Theoretical Geophysics, DAMTP, Cambridge
- 1992-1997 Royal Society University Research Fellow
- 1987-1993 Research Fellow at Trinity College, Cambridge
- 1988-1990 Postdoctoral Reseach Fellow, Research School of Earth Sciences, Australian National University.
John Lister has a wide range of interests both in fundamental fluid mechanics and in the application of fluid mechanics to understand processes in geophysics. Some indication of this range is provided by the following topics:
Fluid driven crack propagation and dykes, Infinite-Prandtl number convection and mantle dynamics, Capillary pinch-off and film rupture, Similarity solutions and finite-time singularities, Viscous gravity currents and lava flows, Particle-laden flows, turbidity currents and sedimentation, The thermodynamics and fluid dynamics of the Earth's core, Low Reynolds number flow, Flows with solidification or temperature-dependent viscosity.