Dr Martin Benning
- from 09/16: Leverhulme Early Career Research Fellow, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- 04/15-08/16: Postdoctoral Research Associate, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- 10/14-03/15: Associate Professor (Temporarily), MIC, Universität zu Lübeck, Germany
- 09/12-09/14: Postdoctoral Research Associate, MRRC, CEB, University of Cambridge
- 07/11-08/12: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, Münster
- 07/08-06/11: Phd Student, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, Münster, Germany
Martin Benning is a Leverhulme Trust early career fellow and member of the Cambridge Image Analysis group of Dr Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb. With his work on singular regularisation of inverse problems he obtained his doctoral degree at the University of Münster, Germany, under supervision of Prof. Martin Burger. His current research focuses on inverse problem theory, non-smooth variational regularisation methods, convex- & non-convex optimisation techniques and machine learning. His main applications of interest are Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Electron Tomography (both from incomplete measurments) and Positron Emission Tomography (PET).
- MB, Guy Gilboa, Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb. "Learning parametrised regularisation functions via quotient minimisation." Proceedings in Applied Mathematics and Mechanics 16(1) (2016): 933-936.
- MB, Florian Knoll, Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb, and Tuomo Valkonen. "Preconditioned ADMM with nonlinear operator constraint." Accepted for publication in IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology (2016).
- Michael Möller, MB, Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb, and Daniel Cremers. "Variational depth from focus reconstruction." Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 24, no. 12 (2015): 5369-5378.
MB, Lynn Gladden, Daniel Holland, Carola-Bibiane Schönlieb, and Tuomo Valkonen. "Phase reconstruction from velocity-encoded MRI measurements–a survey of sparsity-promoting variational approaches." Journal of Magnetic Resonance 238 (2014): 26-43.
MB, and Martin Burger. "Ground states and singular vectors of convex variational regularization methods." Methods and Applications of Analysis 20, no. 4 (2013): 295-334
- Martin Burger, Michael Möller, MB, and Stanley Osher. "An adaptive inverse scale space method for compressed sensing." Mathematics of Computation 82, no. 281 (2013): 269-299.
MB, Christoph Brune, Martin Burger, and Jahn Müller. "Higher-order TV methods—enhancement via Bregman iteration." Journal of Scientific Computing 54, no. 2-3 (2013): 269-310.
MB, and Martin Burger. "Error estimates for general fidelities." Electronic Transactions on Numerical Analysis 38, no. 44-68 (2011): 77.
A complete list of publications can be found on my Google scholar page.
Together with Matthias J. Ehrhardt, I am going to lecture on Inverse Problems in Imaging the upcoming Michaelmas term. Information and course materials will be provided here.
I was lecturing on Inverse Problems during Michaelmas term 2015. The lecture was Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9 am, starting on October 8th and ending on December 1st. Some of the course materials are still available here:
Lecture notes (will constantly be updated - current state: 22.12.15, 5:30 pm)
Exercise sheet 1 (has been presented on October 23rd, 3 pm, MR11)
Exercise sheet 2 (will be presented on November 13th, 3 pm, MR5)
Exercise sheet 3 (will be presented on November 27th, 1.30 pm, MR5)