David Crighton Fellowships
The David Crighton Fund was set up in memory of the late Professor David Crighton FRS, to provide support for young scholars in his research field, i.e. the subfield of applied mathematics concerned with fluid mechanics, acoustics, waves and vibration. The managers of the Fund are accordingly offering up to four David Crighton Fellowships for research students and postdoctoral fellows in these areas. Applications are welcome from candidates based in Departments of Mathematics, Engineering or Physics in Cambridge and elsewhere.
The David Crighton Fellowship award is to be used to cover actual travel and subsistence expenses, up to a maximum amount of £3,800, to facilitate two to three months’ study and research beginning in the calendar year 2017. Successful candidates based outside of Cambridge will have the opportunity to undertake study and research in Cambridge, whereas award winners currently based in Cambridge can utilise funds to travel elsewhere. Applicants should normally be in the second half of their PhD research, or have no more than three years’ postdoctoral experience.
To be considered for an award, the following documents should be submitted by email to the Head of Department’s Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
· A brief curriculum vitae
· A description of the candidate’s research topic, limited to one page
· A statement of the benefit that can be expected from the proposed period of study
· A letter from the proposed senior host stating that he or she agrees to accept the candidate to study with them between specified dates, countersigned by the host’s Head of Department
· A detailed statement of expected travel and subsistence expenses
· Full contact details for two academic referees (name, address, telephone/fax numbers and e-mail address). Referees should be asked to send letters of recommendation to include details of their assessment of the applicant’s suitability for a David Crighton Fellowship including the benefits they are likely to gain from their visit, directly to the Head of Department’s Secretary,
Applications and references should be received by the Head of Department’s Secretary by:
16 January 2017