About the Group
The group carries out research into a wide range of topics involving astrophysical fluid dynamics and nonlinear dynamics. Specific astrophysical interests include the dynamics of astrophysical discs, planetary formation and evolution, extrasolar planetary systems and stellar magnetohydrodynamics (particularly dynamo theory, magnetoconvection and the physics of sunspots). More information about the group's research projects is available here. The Atomic Astrophysics group maintains a separate website. The group is part of the Cambridge Exoplanet Research Centre, which involves researchers from several departments at the University of Cambridge.
- (Oct 2015) The group welcomes new PhD students Hayley Allison, Janosz Dewberry and Shyeh Tjing Loi.
- (Nov 2014) A University Lectureship in Astrophysics has been advertised in our group, with a closing date of 5 January 2015.
- (Oct 2014) The group welcomes new Postdocs Andrew Hillier, Antoine Riols-Fonclare, Robert Teed & Jean Teyssandier, as well as new PhD students Sargam Mulay, Joseph Paris, Valeria Shumaylova & Marcela Vitti and new intern Quentin André.
- (Oct 2013) The group welcomes new postdoc Adrian Barker and new PhD students Vanessa Polito, Johnathan Ross and Riccardo Vanon.
- (Sept 2013) We congratulate Gordon Ogilvie on being appointed to a Professorship of Mathematical Astrophysics.
- (Oct 2012) Dr. Henrik Latter has been appointed to a University Lectureship in Astrophysics in DAMTP.
- (Oct 2012) Dr. Sijme-Jan Paardekooper has begun a Royal Society University Research Fellowship.
- (Oct 2012) Professor Michael Proctor, FRS has been announced as Provost-elect of King's College.
We welcome applications for PhD studentships. The group, together with the Atomic Astrophysics Group, has allocated funding from STFC for astrophysics research studentships that are available from October 2016. Studentships are normally allocated around Easter. However, depending on circumstances, some may be advertised at other times. To find out if you are eligible and for further information regarding the application procedure and funding please check out http://damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/astro/about/phd.html.
Some possible projects in astrophysics and potential supervisors are listed on our research pages. Potential supervisors may also be contacted individually. Information relating to research projects undertaken by current PhD students can be found on the group members page where there are also links to personal websites where available.
The above links provide coverage of research activities within the group but please do not hesitate to contact via email Virginia Mullins (Group Secretary) or one of the staff members listed if you have any other queries or require further information regarding research opportunities within the group.
Recent Scientific Publications
This list was updated on July 15, 2016. A longer version is also available.
- Magnetorotational dynamo chimeras. The missing link to turbulent accretion disk dynamo models?
- by Riols, A.; Rincon, F.; Cossu, C.; Lesur, G.; Ogilvie, G. I.; Longaretti, P-Y.; arXiv preprint (7/2016)
- On the orbital evolution of a pair of giant planets in mean motion resonance
- by André, Q.; Papaloizou, J. C. B.; arXiv preprint (7/2016)
- The magnetorotational instability in debris-disc gas
- by Kral, Quentin; Latter, Henrik; arXiv preprint (6/2016)
- Precession-driven dynamos in a full sphere and the role of large scale cyclonic vortices
- by Lin, Yufeng; Marti, Philippe; Noir, Jerome; Jackson, Andrew; Physics of Fluids (6/2016)
- On the survival of zombie vortices in protoplanetary discs
- by Lesur, Geoffroy; Latter, Henrik; arXiv preprint (6/2016)
- The formation and evolution of reconnection-driven, slow-mode shocks in a partially ionised plasma
- by Hillier, A.; Takasao, S.; Nakamura, N.; Astronomy & Astrophysics (6/2016)